Who is the portage home visiting service for?
Portage is a home teaching programme for pre-school children aged 0-5 years, who are experiencing delayed development and are not in a pre-school/school setting.
What does the service provide?
The aim of the service is to enable parents/carers to gain skills and confidence in meeting the educational and developmental needs of their child.
We believe in working in close partnership with parents/carers as they have the expert knowledge of their child, and situation. This expert knowledge is required to ensure the best action is taken in supporting the child.
Portage home visitors offer a number of services
- Making regular planned home visits
- Helping to set appropriate developmental goals
- Suggesting practical ways to aid children’s development
- Lending appropriate toys and equipment designed to support the programme
- Providing information, particularly regarding early education issues
- Writing progress reports for parents, which can also be shared with appropriate professionals
- Offering parent / child groups at local Children Centres
- EarlyBird programme - we work in collaboration with Speech and Language Therapists to offer training to parents of pre-school aged children with a diagnosis of autism following the National Autistic Society
- Society guidelines. For more information, visit www.autism.org.uk/earlybird
How do I access the service?
If you would like to know more about our work, would like to access our service, or have any further questions, you can contact us between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Harrow Portage Home Visiting Service
Civic 5 & 6
Harrow Civic Centre
Tel: 020 8051 8382
Make an online enquiry: enquiry form