The Children's Sensory Team
We work with children and young people from birth to 25 years, with hearing and / or vision impairment. We can work with them in their homes, play-groups, nurseries, schools and colleges.
You can watch our video about the service in British Sign Language (BSL).
What does the service provide?
We are a team of qualified teachers with experience of working both in mainstream and special schools. We provide training for specialist qualifications in hearing impairment or vision impairment. The team also includes other specialist sensory staff with additional qualifications.
- offer support and advice to families about their child's sensory impairment
- provide assessments regarding the child or young person's sensory impairment
- write advice and provide strategies to support children and young people in their learning and development
- provide specialist equipment when needed
- teach Braille and British Sign Language as appropriate
- train teachers and other professionals about sensory impairment
- liaise with parents and other professionals
- provide awareness-raising sessions for peers
- attend meetings and reviews
- signpost families to other services
- COVID-19 Newsletter
How do I access the service?
We have an open referral system. This means that pupils, parents / carers and professionals can all refer to us.
The child or young person being referred must:
- have a vision impairment or vision difficulties and /or have hearing impairment or hearing difficulties
- be between 0 and 25 years of age
- live in Harrow
- live in a different local authority but attend a Harrow educational setting without an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)
Once referred, the child or young person with sensory impairment will be assessed by a specialist teacher in order to identify if support is required from the Children's Sensory Team.
If the young person is, a Harrow resident of 16- 25 years and attends a Further Education College without an EHCP, their college will provide advice and support or request to buy Children's Sensory Team (CST) services.
Independent educational settings must pay for the service received from the CST. A service can only be offered if the CST has capacity to provide this service. This flowchart illustrates the pathway to service.
Requesting a referral
To request a referral to the Children's Sensory Team please complete the CST referral form
To update your medical consent form please complete the CST medical consent form
Harrow Children's Sensory Team
Harrow Council, Civic Centre 5 & 6, Station Road, Harrow HA1 2XY
Tel: 020 8051 8370
For deaf or partially hearing callers, we welcome communication via email, fax, text or by using the Text Relay Service
Tel: 0800 731188
Textphone: 0800 500 888
Further information on Children's Sensory Team
- Children's Sensory Team detailed information about the service
- What to do if you suspect your child has a hearing or vision impairment?
- Possible signs of school age children having hearing difficulties
- Possible signs of school age children having vision difficulties
- What do you do if you feel that your child has social, emotional and mental health difficulties?
- Children' Sensory Team - Parental Questionnaire 2016: What was fed back
- Children' Sensory Team - Parental Questionnaire 2018: What was fed back
- Children' Sensory Team - Pupil Questionnaire 2018: What was fed back
- Children' Sensory Team - School Staff Questionnaire 2018: What was fed back
- Children' Sensory Team - Health Questionnaire 2018: What was fed back
- Children' Sensory Team - Social Care Questionnaire 2018: What was fed back
- Information about the roles of the staff who work in the Children's Sensory Team
- What is Habilitation for children with vision impairment?
- A leaflet about the Children's Sensory Team
- A leaflet about Early Years and CST
- Useful contacts for other organisations or companies for hearing impairment and vision impairment
Children's Sensory Team Event
- Children’s Hearing Service Working Group (CHSWG) for parents of children and young people with hearing impairment:
- Bespoke Training for Professionals
- 2020 CHSWG flyer
The Children’s Sensory Team (CST) are offering more free virtual courses for professionals this autumn term 2020.
The majority of the courses will be delivered using Microsoft Teams.
- 15 October 2020 3:45pm - Introduction to MDVI
- 22 October 2020 3:45pm - Introduction to VI
- 9 November 2020 3:45pm - Introduction to MSI
- 28 September 2020 3:45pm - (5 weeks) Basic BSL part 1
- 9 November 2020 3:45pm - (5 weeks)Basic BSL part 2
- 28 September 2020 10am - (5 weeks)Basic BSL part 1
- 9 November 2020 10am - (5 weeks) Basic BSL part 2
- 15 October 2020 10am - Parents using BSL coffee morning
- 26 November 2020 10am - Children’s Hearing Screening Working Group (CHSWG)
To book a place on the above courses:
- Title of the course
- Your name
- Mobile number
- School/educational setting you work in.
Note: Further courses may be announced later in the term depending on service capacity and demand
- Monday 3 May to Friday 7 May 2021 Deaf Awareness Week - information for children and young people
- Monday 3 May to Friday 7 May 2021 Deaf Awareness Week - information for parents
- Monday 3 May to Friday 7 May 2021 Deaf Awareness Week - information for office/staff room
Additional resourced provision
Harrow schools with additional resourced provision for children and young people with hearing impairment
Cedars Manor School
Tel: 020 8428 5845
Hatch End High School
Tel: 020 8428 4330
There are no Harrow additionally resourced schools for children and young people with vision impairment.