Who is Barnardo’s London Independent Support Service for?
Families with children and young people with SEN and disability needs, through the statutory assessment and Education Health Care Plan processes.
Support will be provided to:
- Children with a recent diagnosis of a disability or SEN Assessment
- Children with a statement of Special Education Needs converting to an Education Health & Care (EHC) plan
- Young people with a Learning Disability Assessment (LDA) converting to an EHC plan.
We will work with parents and young people who most need Independent Support. Young People aged 16-25 are entitled to an Independent Supporter in their own right.
What does this service provide?
Independent Supporters are individuals who are totally independent from the Local Authority and are specially trained to provide advice and support.
They offer a range of time-limited support, usually between 15 and 20 weeks for each family. The support offered will include:
- Helping the parent or young person to transfer a Statement into an EHC plan.
- Acting as a named contact person for the parent or young person throughout the assessment and planning process.
- Liaising across a range of agencies with the parent or young person to help gather the information required for an EHC plan.
- Providing information to parents and young people on personal budgets.
- Supporting the parent or young person in contributing to an EHC plan that is then ready to be signed off by a designated professional that has been agreed as part of a local referral protocol process.
- Signposting parents and young people to local information advice and support services, when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter.
Barnardo’s is providing an additional service to the Independent Support also offered by Family Action Harrow Send Information Advice Support Service.
For more information:
Info leaflet Info for parents with new contact details
How do I access the service?
They can also ask a professional to refer to Barnardo’s London Independent Support Service or complete a referral form themselves and send either by email or by post to:
Barnardo’s London Independent Support Service
12 Church Hill, London E17 3AG