Paediatric Occupational Therapy: Secondary Schools
The Paediatric Occupational Therapy team provide support to children and young people aged 11-18 years in secondary schools and further education colleges (or up to 19 if in special schools) with physical disabilities or severe/complex disabilities. The child or young person must have a Harrow GP and/or should be a Harrow resident.
What does the service provide?
The team aim to provide a high quality service to children and young people to maximise their participation and independence in activities of daily life. They work in partnership with the child or young person, their parents / carers, school staff, and other health, education, social care professionals and voluntary bodies.
The team provide:
- Assessment/review to establish how the pupil’s needs impact on their ability to access the school day
- Joint target setting and strategy development with the child or young person, school staff for inclusion into the Individual educational plan
- Direct therapy for the child or young person with a specific clinical need, as required
- Advice on equipment and adaptations needed to enable the child to access the curriculum/ environment. This may include loan, issue or recommendation of equipment such as splints, seating, toileting equipment and adaptive aids
- Development of health care plans in collaboration with the child or young person, their families and other health professionals involved, enabling them to plan for their transition to adult health care
- Attendance at Annual Reviews / Planning Meetings
- Training as required for school staff
How do I access the service?
Referrals are accepted from professionals and parents. Parental consent is essential for all referrals.
- For all referrals, schools are asked to complete a referral checklist in order to provide information about their concerns, support that has been put in place by school and the child or young person's response to this. Forms are available via the service website or from the Occupational Therapy Service
- Once referrals are processed by the principal occupational therapist the service will aim to see each child or young person within eight weeks
- Each child or young person will receive an assessment of need which will include a school visit. Following assessment, a decision will be made regarding future management and a written report provided
This service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Paediatric Therapy Department
Chaucer Unit, Level 3, Northwick Park Hospital. Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Telephone: 0208 869 3010 The service is provided by London North West Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWHT).
For further information about the service visit LNWH Occupational Therapy