Advisory teachers Autism spectrum
The Autism spectrum service is for children and young people with a diagnosis of autism, attending mainstream schools in Harrow, who have either a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan.
We support mainstream schools in Harrow in meeting the needs of pupils. We also offer guidance to mainstream schools, for children and young people attending schools outside of Harrow, who have either a Statement or an EHC Plan.
What does the Autism spectrum service provide?
Our work is based on the belief that children on the autistic spectrum are entitled to a high quality educational provision which meets their individual needs.
Our focus is on training and working with school staff and parents/carers to offer a range of strategies to help children and young people to fulfill their potential and ensure full access to the curriculum. Particular aspects of the curriculum requiring adaptation and alternative teaching strategies are carefully identified and guidance provided. The effectiveness of this input is continuously assessed and regularly reviewed.
We offer a range of services to schools, and work in partnership with other organisations to meet the individual needs of pupils. Our services include:
- Information gathering and sharing between relevant parties.
- Liaison with parents and others.
- Training for teachers and teaching assistants in specialist aspects of the role.
- Planning with teaching and support staff.
- Support to access the curriculum.
- Attending meetings and specific annual reviews.
- Support for transfer and transitions.
At this current time we are unable to deliver National Autistic Society training programmes. However we are preparing in-house training programmes:
- Developing a greater understanding of how autism affects your child.
- Improving your communication with your child.
- Analysing the behaviour of your child.
- Preventing problems which we will endeavour to run twice a year.
You can contact the advisory teachers directly if you wish to go on the waiting list for a workshop on 0208 9666383/ 6384.
We also carry out work for the Local Authority such as involvement in tribunals or SEN panels.
How do I access the Autism spectrum service?
Our services can be accessed through mainstream schools which request advice and guidance for children and young people on the autistic spectrum.
Advisory Teachers - Autism Spectrum
Alexandra Avenue Health & Care Centre, 275 Alexandra Avenue, South Harrow, Middx HA2 9DX
Telephone: 0208 966 6480.